With a little love….Turtles.

Besides the matchbox shrines, this is what I’ve been working on. Every time I do one of these paper collages I learn something new. When I did the painting for LnD, I learned not to use too many layers or glue sticks to put the pieces together because the self-leveling gel (SLG) caused a lot of wrinkling – although the final piece looked fine.

For this one, I used gel medium as the adhesive which prevented a lot of the wrinkling. The paper was thicker with more texture and the gel medium muted the glitter and other enhancements. However, when the SLG was applied, it evened out all of the brush strokes and brought out the glitter so it sparkled again.  This time though, the problems included a bunch of the SLG sitting over the turtles faces, bleeding ink, and my inability to not touch things.

The first set of turtle eyes were done with pen – same with the mouths. The SLG made the ink bleed so everything got really sad.

I never actually took a picture of the ruined eyes but you can see the original inked eyes and mouths above. At first I was so annoyed with myself for not thinking of just using paper to begin with!  So new eyes were added and another layer of SLG was applied.  The second layer wasn’t very thick – I wasn’t trying to heavily coat the thing – I just wanted to cover the new eyes and make them blend back with the rest of the piece.
Anyway, I’m pretty happy with the final and the person who received it liked it- which was the whole point. I’m really digging building these scenes with paper.

Matchbox Shrines: Love is…Home

Gesso on the outside of all the matchbox jackets

 

Testing out what kind of heart I wanted to carve for the
jacket cover.
Prepped all the boxes with contrasting but complimentary
scrapbook papers. I mixed a little acrylic paint with Modge Podge to
cover all the inside box parts. The modge gave the acrylic a nice
non-plastic finish.
Stamps: carved and stamped on to shrink plastic for heating
Assembled. Love is…Home.

Canvas 1 : Me 0

First layer: light blue/white color

 

Second Layer: Beige – I was not happy with the color. It
wasn’t quite what I wanted.

 

Third Layer: Lighter brown – everything looked like mud.

 

Fourth and Fifth Layers – tried more blue – too saturated
tried more dark colors and then….

 

Layer Six: Admitted defeat and applied gesso to the whole
thing.  Oh the beauty of starting over.

So, I’m working on this large canvas project where I plan to build up the subject in paper. I want to develop a deep rich background. I have a kind of beachy color palette that  I am working with. I really liked the first layer. If I had used horizontal brush strokes instead of vertical ones this could have been a nice color for the canvas.

Then, I added some beige (but I missed the mark on the color in my mind…it clashed a bit with the first layer.) I thought it might be salvageable. I added this brown with messy brush strokes to allow the blue to show through.

I thought a lighter brown might help. The entire thing turned to mud. Anyway, long story short,  I decided I couldn’t save it and just finished covering the whole thing. I love gesso.

That canvas will submit to me as soon as I plan out my color palette a bit more.