Cauliflower Pizza Crust – It Works!

Many months ago on Pinterest, I saw this pin about a cauliflower pizza crust.  Although, skeptical, I pinned the recipe thinking I’d try it some day. Well – someday has arrived! Today, I made this little gem of a recipe. I think I could have squeezed a bit more water out of the cooked “cauli-rice” before blending the rest of the ingredients but it still worked out well.  You can tell it isn’t a regular crust when you eat it but as far a substitutes go, it is quite tasty. I would certainly make this again. Follow the link above for the full recipe. Pictures of every step (except the microwaving after the rice-ification step and the mix in the bowl.) Also, the cauli-rice stage shows me some good options for rice dishes. Maybe some fried “rice” is in my future.

Documented Life Journal – Cover Changes

Remember this little Moleskine weekly planner that I mentioned in a previous Documented Life Post? Well, today I had some time so I painted the cover. I’m really happy with how it turned out.  I just used gesso, acrylic paint and some stencils that I had in the studio. I will try to take more “in progress” pictures but sometimes I forget. n00b!

 

Porcelain Mugs

The last of my holiday projects that I will be posting about was from this pin. I was going to Zentangle on the mugs but I am not an expert Zentangler. Tangling on a curved surface proved quite challenging. My one tangle attempt turned out ok. The main problem with this project was the inconsistency of the pens.

Maybe it was user error, I found the pens to give too much or not enough ink which caused inconsistency with my lines – regardless, after baking I was able to run the cup below through the dishwasher and it held up fairly well. There was one area on the other side that vanished. I ran one unbaked cup through the dishwasher and it was blank when it came out. It had dried for more than three days. I didn’t like the design so it was great that it washed off and confirmation that the ink wouldn’t hold up without baking. Unfortunately, I’ve wrapped all the other mugs and forgot to take pictures first!
This was a fun project overall and a great inexpensive way to make some gifts. I bought white mugs from a thrift store. The most expensive part were the pens!

The Documented Life Project

Well, a week or so ago, I discovered The Documented Life Project. I have been trying to art journal more regularly so I decided to join. I’ve begun prepping my Moleskine Weekly Planner. The project will be 52 weeks long to coincide with the planner.  Here’s to 2014 and sticking to the project for the whole year.  So far, I’ve added some tabs for each month and I’ve made some homemade “washi” tape using different types of papers (tissue, wrapping, scrapbook, etc) and double sided tape. I am really looking forward to the first assignment on Jan 1.