DLP: Words with Friends Part II


Here is my Documented Life Project final image for Week 4. I wanted to keep it fairly light. I added some of my friends and a sort of weird quote that ended up being a bit less readable than planned. Looking forward to Saturday’s challenge, the super bowl, and parties with friends.

Stencil Creation – Trees!

Today, I spent some time in Adobe Illustrator making these birch trees. I’m super excited about this stencil because it demonstrates why I wanted a Silhouette Cameo.  I wanted to be able to create my own designs – and get the bonus of having the positive and negative shapes.

The next stencil I want to work on is to put a bit more detail in my mermaid. I feel see needs some scales and such.

Now, I’m off to test these out!

Gelli Plate: Seahorse!

Another sea creature that I adore! I put him down in bronze and then added the rest of the paint. The bronze didn’t scan as nicely as it looks in real life. I need to just take photos of all of these in nature light so the colors look better.

The Seahorse stencil was made by taking one of the seahorse designs I’ve created and cutting it in Dura-Lar.  Thanks Silhouette Cameo!

Gelli Plate: Fly Free Bird

The scan on this one turned out a little weird color-wise. Still the image was a little flat. This time the colors all pulled off the plate but there was too little contrast between them. I also used too much black. I was trying for a light grey.

DLP Wk 4: Words with Friends Part 1

I’m struggling a little with this week’s Documented Life Project challenge.

This challenge we are supposed to use writing and the theme is “Words with Friends”.  The pictures show what I have so far. I started using acrylic to put script on the entire page. I added some red water color. It looked a lot like blood – NOT the theme I was going for.

I added some brown and herringbone stencil and now…I don’t know. I have a few ideas but for now this is where we are. I’m sure there will be more coming later this week.

 

 

Ceramics: Week 2 – A Story of Four Bowls.


Well, it had been a week since I threw last and the first week I just did one bowl. Coning and centering – I feel good about it. I feel fairly confident that I can get my clay center. Obviously, more practice is better but I at least get it.

After the clay is centered – I feel pretty good about making that first divot to start opening.  Then it all gets crazy.  As you can see by my first bowl here. In efforts to turn it into something, I bent it down on itself along the thin section. We’ll see if it turns into anything.

The next attempt made into more something that looked like a “bowl” but it will likely be a glaze test; if it even survives firing. It is a little wonky. The sides are uneven because I was trying to open the bowl while bringing up the sides and compressing the clay. All of that equals uneven walls.

The third bowl was really thrown by the teacher with assistance from me. He was reminding me how to open and was helping quite a bit. I find it very difficult. I’m left handed so my brain is really trying to sort everything out. I have to really think about the direction of the wheel so I come at the clay from the correct side – otherwise – disaster.

The last bowl, I threw on my own. I was using small amounts of clay (each of these bowls is about one pound).  So next time, I am going to try with more. Next week I will be trimming any of my five attempts that are dry enough.

I really want to figure out how to throw bowls this class. I have some slab work ideas I would like to do as well, but seriously…I really want to figure this out. I’m in a beginner class but almost all of the other students are not beginners. I wish I was in a totally beginner class with at least one other lefty. At least then I would have some gauge of comparison.

I’m determined.