Day 2. Also, even though I will be posting faces for the next 100 days, there will still be other posts as well of the ceramics, etc. So maybe you will get to see more than one arty thing a day!
I made this using one of Dina Wakley’s girl stamps. I just love that sassy side-eye. Dina went over layers with us in her Listening and Layering class and, although I’m not in love with my back-up ladies, overall, I like what is happening here.
Totally loving the stabilo “magic pencil”
Sunday, I spent the day in two classes taught by Dina Wakley. We each created this reduction piece where we traced an image with carbon paper onto the a background and then painted over most of the background. Layers are good.
Alright, so here is the sketch from yesterday with a little inktense color. I am planning on drawing a face a day for 100 days. We’ll see how it goes. I have a bunch of faces pinned. Probably to start we’ll be doing a lot of mug shots, then eventually three-quarter. Also, I am living for the Stabilo 8046 Black pencil.
Final spread – two faces, the first one was just pencil, the second painted.
Friday, I went to a really excellent workshop at Ben Franklin in Redmond where Dina Wakley was teaching a three hour version of her “Facing the Facts” workshop. Dina’s teaching style is quite fun. I was pleased with my final spread although I like my second girl (to the right) best.
Dina recommended a few things that that I have done or plan to do. The first – make a Pinterest board of faces (done). Second, she recommended trying to draw a face a day for 100 days (at least). This goes right in line with my whole “do something arty” every day resolution; so I think I might give it a go. My Dylusions journal is being used for the documented life project, so I will be using my Strathmore mixed-media journal for faces. I’m looking forward to the classes I’m taking on Sunday.
Under-glaze test – I decided to do a little test with some glazes. I took some of the stencils I’ve been using in my various journal entries and did some layering on a tray. When I set the glaze down, I hit the tray breaking it, so I did the test on both parts.
These middle two pictures are pre-bisque firing. I used alphabet noodles to make the work “dream”. I have to suggest that if you use alphabet noodles to make words in your clay, bisque immediately. This one sat for a week drying and the moisture in the clay made the noodles mold. It was gross. I’m looking forward to the results of this experiment. Below are the pieces post-bisque. I added a layer of clear glaze over the seahorse last night and the fish got celadon. More picks to come!
I glazed my final bowl. For this one, I used sapphire and tenmoku gold.
The bird waiting to be fired (above) and fired (below).