Ceramics: Stencil Experiment.



Under-glaze test – I decided to do a little test with some glazes. I took some of the stencils I’ve been using in my various journal entries and did some layering on a tray.  When I set the glaze down, I hit the tray breaking it, so I did the test on both parts.

These middle two pictures are pre-bisque firing. I used alphabet noodles to make the work “dream”.  I have to suggest that if you use alphabet noodles to make words in your clay, bisque immediately. This one sat for a week drying and the moisture in the clay made the noodles mold.  It was gross. I’m looking forward to the results of this experiment. Below are the pieces post-bisque. I added a layer of clear glaze over the seahorse last night and the fish got celadon.  More picks to come!

Ceramics: Tray in Progress


Here’s a little boat tray I have in progress. I used a chrysanthemum button for the bottom and a bird embossing plate on the inside. This was an experiment so we will see how it all comes together. It’s prepped for bisque firing now.  I think I will just be clear glazing the inside.

Opearl – Love this glaze


So last week I glazed one of my bowls with opearl. I love it! I’m so glad I took my ceramics teacher’s advice of adding a little more to the inside and adding little extra around the rim. I’m really pleased with how this bowl turned out. Opearl may have just replaced shino as my new favorite glaze.

Ceramics – Three Pre-Firing Glazed Bowls .



Celadon over the black carved underglaze. Here are three more little bowls I threw. I’ve moved on to some hand building projects next. I have the bird who was put in for bisque firing today and two “platters” on which, I am playing around with some ideas.  I’ll pick up these bowls next week. I hope they turn out. I have one more bowl to glaze next week. I had it glazed but an unfortunate slip of a hand made it fall into the glaze.  Bird should be ready in two weeks.